Sunday, July 24, 2011

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Kiki's Rating: 4 stars

I have now read this book twice, but have been struggling to put into words why I read it, and even more why I read it again.  Every time I try to figure out what to write the main idea that comes to mind is that this book is crazy messed up, but in the most perfect way.  I gave this book 4 stars when it probably deserves 5 because of the ending.  The last chapter and the epilogue, for me, were too much.  I understand for this book the ending is perfect, and it is exactly the type of ending readers want, but it was too much for me.  See, Abby Abernathy had a horrible home life.  Dad was a gambler in with the mob and mom was a raging drunk.  The only family Abby had was her best friend America.  The two of them set out on a new kind of adventure, college.  Abby decides college is a place where she can escape her past and start a new, but she takes it to extremes.  She decides to be goody-to-shoes Abby instead of Vegas Abby.  This worked until she met her match in Travis Maddox.  Travis is exactly what she wanted to avoid in her new life, a tattoo covered, ultimate fighting, womanizer.  And for some reason Abby has captured his special attention. He starts flirting with her, giving her a pet name Pigeon, and trying his hardest to show her that he can be boyfriend material.  Abby tries her hardest not to fall for Travis, but the strength in how he loves her is too much for her to avoid. They go back and forth in this love/hate tit-for-tat through out the book.  I guess that is the part that I loved the most.  They would go one minute making out in the middle of a history class to a scratch-down, drag-out fight.  The craziest part and the most addicting was how they needed each other like a drug.  And when I say need, I mean NEED!  They didn't just love each other, they needed each other to remain in tact.  I don't want to go into any more details because I truly want you to read the book, but understand that I agree with Abby's roommate that this relationship was dangerous.

There are many twists and turns in this book that make it so exciting and something you will struggle to put down.  You may even be like me and have the urge to read it all over again.

Happy Reading!
~Kiki

No comments:

Post a Comment