Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

Kiki's Rating: 4.5 stars

I don't typically write reviews about the books I read because the books usually speak for themselves, but this time I feel compelled to write.  I gave this book 5 stars solely because it moved me to tears which is something rarely done by a book.  Emma was a young sixteen year old trying to escape the painful reality she went home to every day.  Death of her father and the abandonment of her mother left her to the mercy of her abusive aunt.  This aunt, Carol, was vile and makes my stomach turn even thinking about her.  She was so threatened by the idea of Emma receiving any affection from her family that she did everything in her to belittle and damage her.  If it wasn't for her best friend Sara I don't think Emma would have made it so long.  This book pulls at your heart strings as you feel for Emma, and struggle with her reasoning to stay in her horrible situation.  It isn't until the true love of Evan that Emma realizes her self worth and is willing to risk it all just to "live".

I've read a lot of reviews on this book.  Most of them criticize the ending.  Even though I hated the cliffhanger ending and can't possibly wait for the second book, I can't blame the author for her choice to end the book at that point.  It is a great set-up for a second book.  Most people felt like it was a cop out, and I say to them read the last page again.  Emma is at peace for the first time and ready to seep into the darkness when she realizes that she is going to lose this battle.  She reflects on having gained so much, but then reality hits in and she says "Was life a choice?"  Then the last line, which is my favorite, "In the balance of love and loss, it was love that made me struggle to ...Breathe."  It is my feeling that in those words Emma chose to fight!

This of course is just my opinion, so I urge you to read the book and draw your own.

~Kiki

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic story telling Ms. Donovan! This book moved me in a way I was not prepared for. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the sequel to Reason to Breathe.

    ReplyDelete